EDI and Membership
A: Terms of Reference
The Equity, Diversity, Inclusiveness and Membership Committee (EDIM) of CAIMS mandate is to
- Review, monitor, and make recommendations to the Board of Directors of The Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society (BOD-CAIMS) regarding the position and interests of women, First Nations, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ+ communities, as well as other underrepresented groups in Canada and our Society.
- Recommend action plans to BOD-CAIMS that advance and promote equity, diversity, inclusivity, accessibility for all groups identified in A.1.
- Ensure equitable treatment of the groups identified in A.1 in the mathematical community.
- Review and recommend BOD-CAIMS strategies to encourage the participation of all groups identified in A.1 in applied and industrial mathematics at all levels.
B: Duties and Responsibilities
The committee will examine and develop action plans in the spirit of this committee’s mandate and recommend them for approval to BOD-CAIMS. In carrying out the above, EDIMC will:
- In Year 1, perform an EDI audit of CAIMS.
- Ensure that conferences and seminars are accessible and welcoming to all groups identified in A.1.
- Review, monitor, and prepare award nominations to ensure equal opportunity for all of our Society’s awards. EDIMC is encouraged to schedule at least one nomination per competition cycle actively.
- Organize network activities and monitor all activities that support all underrepresented groups in their careers in mathematics research and teaching.
- Within their mandate, take proactive actions to all issues related to inequality, discrimination, racism, and any other type of offensive behaviour.
- Advise the Board of Directors in all EDIMC related issues.
- Promote CAIMS membership on all levels; provide annual reminders to all CAIMS stakeholders to renew their membership and become proactive in recruiting new members.