CAIMS*SCMAI E-News Volume 19, Number 8
December 13, 2019
Editor: Justin Wan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CAIMS*SCMAI 2019 Annual Fall Newsletter
- 2020 Election: Call for Nominations
- Nominations now open for CAIMS awards and prizes
- Joint CAIMS-SIAM Annual Meeting 2020
- 2020 CAIMS*SCMAI Membership Renewal
1) CAIMS*SCMAI 2019 Annual Fall Newsletter
The 2019 Annual Fall Newsletter (Number 74) is now available on the CAIMS*SCMAI website at:
Please note that the annual Newsletter will be distributed by electronic format only.
2) 2020 Election: Call for Nominations
CAIMS*SCMAI will be holding an election next winter (March 2020) for:
- Two Director positions
The Secretary position will be vacated by Justin Wan. The term of Justin Wan will come to an end in 2020. The Secretary position will be for a three-year
term. The two Director positions will fill the positions to be vacated by Olga Trichtchenko and Ray Spiteri whose interim term will come to an end in 2020. The Director positions will be for a three-year term.
All members of CAIMS*SCMAI are invited to put forward names of candidates for these offices. Nominations should reach the CAIMS Secretary, Justin Wan (email@example.com) by January 31, 2020.
3) Nominations now open for CAIMS awards and prizes
Award and Prize nominations are now open. The deadline for submissions is January 31, 2020.
Current awards and prizes are:
- Arthur-Beaumont Distinguished Service Award
- CAIMS-Fields Industrial Mathematics Prize
- CAIMS/PIMS Early Career Award
- CAIMS-SCMAI Research Prize
- Cecil Graham Doctoral Dissertation Award
Nominate someone now!
4) Joint CAIMS-SIAM Annual Meeting 2020
The Annual Meeting of the Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society (CAIMS 2020) will be held jointly with the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics Annual Meeting (SIAM 2020), at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel in Toronto, Ontario, from July 6-10, 2020.
Conference website is here.
- Deadline for minisymposium proposals is Jan 13, 2020 (11:59 EST).
- Deadline for contributed talks, posters, and abstracts is Feb 3, 2020 (11:59 EST).
- Conference registration deadline is June 8, 2020 (11:59 EST).
- Hotel reservation deadline is June 5, 2020. Note, this conference is expected to be popular, so we encourage you to make your reservation early.
- SIAM Student Travel fund application deadline is Jan 20, 2020.
The minisymposia will not be divided into SIAM versus CAIMS. Rather, the scientific committee considers each of them based on their scientific merit alone.
The guideline for minisymposia is here.
We hope to see you all in Toronto in July.
5) 2020 CAIMS*SCMAI Membership Renewal
With the coming of the new year, it’s time to renew your CAIMS membership (or sign up for a convenient lifetime membership!). Renewal is easy by simply
clicking the link below:
Also please encourage your department chair to renew (or start!) an institutional membership:
Of course, CAIMS gives you many benefits, including a discount on SIAM and/or GAMM membership, a break on fees for our annual conference and, most importantly, the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting our Canadian Applied Mathematics Community. Thanks for your support of our society!
CAIMS*SCMAI E–News Information
CAIMS*SCMAI E–News is distributed electronically several times a year by the Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society * Société Canadienne de Mathématiques Appliquées et Industrielles (http://www.caims.ca).
Past issues are available on the web at http://www.caims.ca/content/e–
Submissions are welcome and should be sent in plain text format to:
Justin Wan, CAIMS*SCMAI Secretary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the Board or Membership of CAIMS*SCMAI. The editorial policy of this publication is to encourage the discussion of issues and facilitate the dissemination of information relevant to Canadian applied and industrial mathematics.
If you wish to have your name removed from the e-mailing list for the CAIMS*SCMAI E–News, please send an email message to Justin Wan as above.