CAIMS*SCMAI E-News Volume 20, Number 6
June 29, 2020
Editor: Justin Wan (email@example.com)
- CAIMS Online AGM 2020: Connection Information
- Joint SIAM/CAIMS Annual Meeting 2020 Updates
- Canadian Symposium on Fluid Dynamics (CSFD): Webinar Invite and Details
1. CAIMS Online AGM 2020: Connection Information
The CAIMS Annual General Meeting is coming up next week(!) on July 7, Tuesday, 12:00pm (Eastern Time). It will be held online using Zoom. To join, please click the following link:
<** link removed **>
A few notes:
- Please turn off the microphone and camera when you join.
- Attendees please refrain from speaking at all time. If you want to ask a speaker questions, please wait until the presentation of the speaker is done and use the Zoom chat box for typing your questions.
- Voting of motion is done through Zoom poll.
- If you have not used Zoom before, you are advised to install the Zoom app in advance before joining the meeting. Also, please join the meeting 10 minutes in advance, in case there are any connection issues.
- To join the meeting, simply click the link above and enter the password. The controls are located near the bottom of the screen. Just move the cursor and you will see them.
Documents of the meeting can be found in the following folder: (notice of AGM, agenda, financial statement, proxy form)
Hope to “see” you all next week!
2) Joint SIAM/CAIMS Annual Meeting 2020 Updates
We may not be able to meet in Toronto for this year’s Joint SIAM/CAIMS Annual Meeting (AN20), but that doesn’t mean we can’t hold the meeting! SIAM and CAIMS are pivoting to virtual with a lineup of invited plenary and prize talks, minisymposia, digital posters, industry events, and more. Virtual AN20 will be happening July 6-17 and registration is free; please review the program and register now. (After you register and before July 6, you will be emailed log in credentials for the virtual conference platform. Please register by Wednesday, July 1 at 11:59 p.m. ET to guarantee you’ll have access to the platform by the first day of the conference.) Registration for AN20 includes SIAM Conference on Imaging Science (IS20) as well.
Minisymposium organizers are welcome to hold their sessions exactly as they would have in person. Speakers unable to attend the live event will be able to provide pre-recorded talks in advance. All sessions will be recorded and available on-demand to conference attendees through the virtual conference platform. Registration details and the virtual program are available on the AN20 website now. Thank you for your continued support of SIAM as we adapt and respond to COVID-19 implications; we’re pleased to be able to continue to serve our members. Remain up-to-date on SIAM’s response to COVID-19 via this blog post, and stay tuned for further AN20 updates!
Other Important Updates:
Mark your calendar for the I.E. Block Community Lecture: Mathematics Meets Origami (Erik Demaine) and John von Neumann Prize Lecture: Rational Functions (Nick Trefethen).
SIAM is offering a new opportunity for students, conference speakers and attendees, and members – its first-ever Virtual Career Fair, on Tuesday July 7, 2020 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. ET. All you need to participate is an internet connection. Registration is free for job seekers, who can sign up here. Employers will be recruiting for interns, postdocs, and fulltime positions. Employers – there are limited booths available! Learn more and secure your spot as an exhibitor.
The Workshop Celebrating Diversity will include six minisymposia and a “luncheon” where participants can discuss topics of interest.
SIAM welcomes students to attend Student Orientation and Student Day activities on Monday, July 6, 2020 from 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. ET as well as 4 p.m. – 5 p.m. ET.
3) Canadian Symposium on Fluid Dynamics (CSFD): Webinar Invite and Details
The 24th Canadian Symposium on Fluid Dynamics will occur on 9th & 10th July 2020 in Canadian cyberspace!
The talks and schedule are listed here:
All times are Eastern Standard Time
In order to join the symposium on either day, please click the link below to join:
<** link removed **>
CSFD Standing Committee
CAIMS*SCMAI E–News Information
CAIMS*SCMAI E–News is distributed electronically several times a year by the Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society * Société Canadienne de Mathématiques Appliquées et Industrielles (http://www.caims.ca).
Past issues are available on the web at http://www.caims.ca/content/e–
Submissions are welcome and should be sent in plain text format to:
Justin Wan, CAIMS*SCMAI Secretary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the Board or Membership of CAIMS*SCMAI. The editorial policy of this publication is to encourage the discussion of issues and facilitate the dissemination of information relevant to Canadian applied and industrial mathematics.
If you wish to have your name removed from the e-mailing list for the CAIMS*SCMAI E–News, please send an email message to Justin Wan as above.