CAIMS*SCMAI E-News Volume 21, Number 2
February 17, 2021
Editor: Kathleen Wilkie (email@example.com)
CAIMS/SCMAI Annual Meeting 2021 (Virtual) June 21-24, 2021
Open Position: Simon Fraser University – Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in the Mathematics of Quantum Computing
Open Position: University of Manitoba – Head of the Mathematics Department
Last Call for CAIMS/SCMAI Prize & Award Nominations – Deadline Feb 28, 2021
3 Fevrier 2021, Anniversaire, Nouvelles du Prix Ibni/ 3 February 2021, Anniversary, News from the Ibni Prize
Call for Membership and Renewal
1. CAIMS/SCMAI Annual Meeting 2021 (Virtual) June 21-24, 2021
The 2021 CAIMS/SCMAI Annual Meeting is proudly hosted by the University of Waterloo. The local organizing committee is: Brian Ingalls, Anita Layton, and Justin Wan.
- Mathematical Biology
- Dynamical Systems / Control Theory
- Financial Mathematics
- Scientific Computing
- Fluid Dynamics / Climate
- Data Science / Machine Learning
- Mini-symposia proposals are accepted until Wednesday March 31, 2021.
- Contributed talks and posters are accepted until Friday April 30, 2021.
- Early bird registration ends May 14, 2021.
2. Open Position: Simon Fraser University – Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in the Mathematics of Quantum Computing
The Department of Mathematics invites applications for an NSERC Tier 2 Canada Research Chair (CRC) in the Mathematics of Quantum Computing with an effective earliest start date of July 19, 2021. This Tier 2 CRC appointment opportunity is intended for exceptional emerging scholars in mathematical and theoretical aspects of quantum computing, at the rank of assistant or associate professor … For more details click here.
3. Open Position: University of Manitoba – Head of the Mathematics Department
The Department of Mathematics invites applications for a 5-year term position as Head and a full-time tenured position at the rank of Professor or Associate Professor, commencing July 1, 2021, or on a date mutually agreed upon. The Department seeks an established scholar with a commitment to research, academic leadership and excellence in teaching. Outstanding candidates in any area of mathematics will be considered. For more detail click here.
4. Last Call for CAIMS/SCMAI Prize & Award Nominations – Deadline Feb 28, 2021
Consider nominating someone for one of the CAIMS/SCMAI prizes and awards. The deadline for submissions has been extended until February 28, 2021.
- Arthur-Beaumont Distinguished Service Award
- CAIMS-Fields Industrial Mathematics Prize
- CAIMS/PIMS Early Career Award
- CAIMS-SCMAI Research Prize
- Cecil Graham Doctoral Dissertation Award
5. 3 fevrier 2021, Anniversaire, Nouvelles du Prix Ibni/ 3 february 2021, Anniversary, News from the Ibni Prize
Cher ami, chere amie,
1) Petition: Vous faites partie des 3535 signataires de la petition sur « Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh »
2) Prix Ibni: Le Prix Ibni https://www.idpoisson.fr/
3) Souscription: La souscription pour le Prix Ibni est désormais recueillie par l’Association pour la Promotion de la Science en Afrique http://www.
4) Images des maths: Un billet de Charles Boubel, faisant le point sur des informations divulguées récemment, a ete publie le 3 fevrier 2021 https://images.math.cnrs.
Nous n’oublions pas Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh et nous continuons a demander la verite a son sujet au president tchadien Idriss Deby et au president francais Emmanuel Macron. Nous partagerons en cet anniversaire la douleur de la famille d’Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh et leur exigence de verite.
Aurelien Alvarez, Marc Peigne, Marie-Francoise Roy
1) Petition. You are one of the 3535 signatories of the petition for « Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh (https://www.idpoisson.fr/en/p
2) Ibni Prize. The Ibni Prize (https://www.idpoisson.fr/en/p
3) Subscription. The subscription for the Ibni Prize is now collected by APSA (Association pour la Promotion de la Science en Afrique): http://www.
4) Images des Maths. A paper by Charles Boubel, taking into account recently disclosed information, has been published on Feburary 3 2021 https://images.math.cnrs.
We do not forget Ibni Oumar Mahamat Saleh and we keep asking the truth about what happened to him to Chadian President Idriss Deby and French President Emmanuel Macron. On this anniversary, we share the grief of Ibni’s family and ask for justice.
Aurelien Alvarez, Marc Peigne, Marie-Francoise Roy
6. Call for Membership and Renewal
Become a CAIMS/SCMAI member now! The world needs applied mathematicians, now more so than ever before. As applied mathematicians we influence policy, economy, scientific developments, public health and communication. As a group we can be most effective if we are organized in societies and representative groups, such that we can speak with one voice and make our insights heard. The Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society – Societé Canadienne de Mathématiques Appliquées et Industrielles has represented the Canadian applied and industrial mathematical community for several decades, and it has enabled us to have impact and opportunities, which we could have never achieved individually.
A membership of CAIMS comes with many benefits, such as
- Being part of a friendly, open, and vibrant applied math community
- Access to free open access publication through MSI (Mathematics in Science and Industry)
- Access to publishing in the CMS/CAIMS Book Series of Springer.
- Access to scientific blogs and opportunity to write a blog yourself
- Priority registration for the CAIMS Annual Meeting
- Access to targeted conferences such as the BIRS Innovation and Career HUB, the CAIMS/BIRS Communication workshops, the first and second CAIMS/PIMS Coronavirus modelling conferences, etc.
- Access to highly prestigious research awards of the society.
And all this for just $80 CAD per year for an individual membership. Become a member today!
Thomas Hillen (President of CAIMS)
CAIMS*SCMAI E–News Information
CAIMS*SCMAI E–News is distributed electronically several times a year by the Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society * Société Canadienne de Mathématiques Appliquées et Industrielles (http://www.caims.ca).
Past issues are available on the web at http://www.caims.ca/content/e–
Submissions are welcome and should be sent in plain text format to:
Jacques Bélair, CAIMS*SCMAI Secretary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathleen Wilkie, CAIMS*SCMAI Communications-Officer Email: email@example.com
The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the Board or Membership of CAIMS*SCMAI. The editorial policy of this publication is to encourage the discussion of issues and facilitate the dissemination of information relevant to Canadian applied and industrial mathematics.
If you wish to have your name removed from the e-mailing list for the CAIMS*SCMAI E–News, please send an email message to Jacques Bélair as above.