The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Department of Applied Mathematics, Chair Professor of Data Science and Analytics 20081402
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees. It has a full-time staff strength of around 5,300 including 1,200 academic staff. The total annual consolidated expenditure budget of the University is in excess of HK$7.4 billion. Committed to academic excellence, PolyU aspires to become a leading university that excels in professional education, world-class research and partnership for the betterment of Hong Kong, the nation and the world. For further details about the University, please visit PolyU’s website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk.
Department of Applied Mathematics
Chair Professor of Data Science and Analytics (Ref. 20081402)
The Department of Applied Mathematics (AMA) is part of the Faculty of Applied Science and Textiles. The Department offers undergraduate programmes in Investment Science and Finance Analytics, and Data Science and Analytics, and makes a significant contribution to most of other academic programmes of the University by providing service teaching. It also offers master programmes in Applied Mathematics for Science and Technology with specialisms in Decision Science and Actuarial Science, and Operational Research and Risk Analysis. Members of the Department have expertise in applied optimization and optimal control, engineering computation, operational research, management science and applied statistics. There are around 40 academic staff and about 70 research personnel in the Department. Please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/ama for more information about the Department.
The Department has established a Joint Laboratory of Applied Mathematics with the Academy of Mathematics and Systems Science of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. The appointee is expected to be actively involved in the activities of the Laboratory.
The Chair Professor is expected to provide leadership in academic activities, including research, teaching and service in the Department. We are seeking to appoint a senior academic with a proven track record and international research reputation in Data Science and Analytics.
The appointee will be required to:
- provide leadership in all aspects of academic activities, including research, teaching and service in the Department;
- provide leadership in promoting research collaboration, securing external research grants, enhancing research quality and publication output;
- engage in scholarly research / high level consultancy;
- facilitate the Department in increasing its visibility and international connections;
- engage in the supervision of research students of the Department (e.g., MPhil and PhD students);
- teach and contribute to curriculum development at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- contribute to academic administration and management in the University; and
- undertake any other duties as assigned by Head of the Department or his delegates.
Applicants should have:
- a doctoral degree in Statistics / Data Science / Operations Research / Mathematics / Computational Mathematics / Applied Mathematics or a closely related field;
- an international reputation in research and scholarship;
- a strong record in attracting research funding;
- a demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching;
- a global perspective, proven academic leadership and demonstrated ability to foster collaborations with faculty members with different research backgrounds in teaching, intellectual contributions and service activities; and
- ability to bring more visibility, prestige and reputation to the University.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
Terms of appointment and remuneration package are negotiable and highly competitive. For general information on terms and conditions for appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/TC.htm.
Application and Nomination
Applicants are invited to send a detailed curriculum vitae by post, and direct any enquiries, to the Chairman of the Faculty Staffing Committee (Chair Professors), Human Resources Office, 13/F, Li Ka Shing Tower, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the position being applied for and the reference number. It is optional for the applicants to include two to three reference letters in their applications. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Candidature may be obtained by nominations. General information about the University is available at http://www.polyu.edu.hk or from the Human Resources Office [Tel: (852) 2766 5290]. The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php.
PolyU is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.